When not practising Dentistry, our clinicians regularly attend courses and lectures to remain abreast of developments in the industry. As a patient, it may be unclear what type of professional development a Dentist or Oral Health Therapist might undertake, so we have listed below some of the training our clinicians have completed over the past months.
Dr Sarah Kam:
– Periocare Scientific Session on the new periodontal classification system
– General Dental Conference predominantly on optimising and perfecting direct (composite) and indirect (ceramic) restorations
– Paediatric Dental charity conference (Brisbane) supporting Hummingbird House and the Alannah and Madeline Foundation.
– Australian Society of Endodontology meetings. These meetings focus on the specialty of root canal treatment and how to help patients save a tooth, and keep it for as long as possible, when it has been severely damaged.
– Participated in Shine Orthodontics webcasts on occlusion and jaw joint pain with Dr Jeff Okeson who is preeminent in the field of orofacial pain and jaw joint dysfunction.
Dr Fiona Lillicrap:
– Periocare Scientific Session (Brisbane) on the new periodontal classification system
– Oromaxillofacial Surgery (surgery of the face, mouth and jaws) Lecture
– Dental Radiology Lecture
– Paediatric Dental charity conference supporting Hummingbird House and the Alannah and Madeline Foundation.
Dr Ian Morrison:
– The Australian Prosthodontic Society Queensland (APSQ) Arthur Marsden clinic day, with guest speaker Dr Didier Dietschi who is arguably the world expert on composite resin fillings.
– International Team for Implantology study clubs which focuses on complex implant restorative dentistry.
– Participated in Shine Orthodontics webcasts focusing on porcelain veneers and digital dentistry.
Dr James Yang:
Dr Yang has taken a different approach to his continuing professional development over the last three years. Instead of completing individual courses he made the commitment to completing his Masters in Clinical Dentistry in implants.
Our Oral Hygiene team attended the International Symposium of Dental Hygiene. A leading conference in the field, the symposium focused on all aspects of Dental Hygiene practice to uncover the vital role of dental hygienists as primary healthcare providers in complete health care and to unite the dental hygiene profession and other disciplines.
Medland Dental also host in house training, most recently Periodontist, Dr Chris Barker came to the practice to give a lecture on guided biofilm therapy and LANAP (Laser-assisted new attachment procedure is a surgical therapy for the treatment of periodontitis).
This professional development is vital to ensuring that our patients receive the very best, most up to date clinical care. Feel free to ask us at your next appointment if you would like to know more.